3 Aces

Thread: What's the difference?

BigO is offline Im getting use to this place
    Thanks

What's the difference?

OK, so a local dirt track under new management moved from NDRA to FASTRAK, presumably loosing the Carolina Clash series dates in the process, and gaining the new "Southern All-Stars East - ULTIMATE SLM Series" dates.

So, what's the difference between the NDRA and Carolina Clash versus FASTRAK and SASE - ULTIMATE SLM Series (hate that name!)? Except for some odd things that happened around the big race at the Dirt Track@Charlotte, the NDRA has seemed to keep a cleaner name and the Carolina Clash is much more established and has a known following. FASTRAK is much larger, though, and can bring more resources to bear.

Past that, what's the big difference - technical and otherwise? What are your preferences?

enigma431 Guest

Re: What's the difference?

The ultimate slm series has 4 great drivers already announced I know of 1 other driver thats gonna be in the series but I'm not gonna say who it is.but goodluck to the Carolina clash

enigma431 Guest

I know 311 went fastrack.who else left ndra

BigO is offline Im getting use to this place
    Thanks

311 was the one I was refering too, though I think last year at this time we had one or two switch among allegations that FASTRAK was throwing more money but giving less substance. There still seems to be more griping about their tire rules, though. That's why I am wondering what the major differences are, and which side the teams are happier with.

enigma431 Guest

The ultimate super late model series is letting everybody run in it crate 604 steelheads with weight breaks and bigger Spoilers.not to mention that a lot of the Carolina clash drivers are going to this series.pm me big o

Thanks

The main difference is Hoosier vs American struggling to gain dominance over this area.

I suspect that when you sign up to run the new SASE-Fastrack deal you also agree to NOT run any Clash races. If the Clash lose 311 and Wythe, that's a big loss (especially seeing that Fayetteville seems to be on the ropes lately).

Time will tell if this new deal works. Personally, I went to a few NDRA shows last year and I thought they were good. Fastrack has had a lot of bad publicity over the years, so I don't think we can assume this super series will be an immediate slam dunk. Let's face it, it still revolves around Cherokee and the last few SASE races I went to were terrible, one-lane, follow the leader events.

But, as a fan, what do I care? All I want is a night of great super late model racing. The format means more to me than anything. Don't charge me $20-$25 for a race that is largely determined by time trials, cheat me out of true heat racing and try to kid me into thinking they have heats which are really nothing but consis.

Give me a good race at a reasonable price that doesn't take until 2am and I don't care if it's sanctioned by SASE, Clash, WoO, Lucas, NASCAR, or any other entity.

Thanks

Alky, I totally agree with you on as a fan I just want a good show. I would like to see more for my money than a train race. I know some tracks struggle to get two lanes but if heats was done and not just time trilas maybe the guys can widen the groove. As a fan just make it worth my money. Last year I went past alot of local tracks to see a good race out of state. Yes It cost more money but worth the cost to see a good race and all tracks I went too ran heats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigO View Post
    OK, so a local dirt track under new management moved from NDRA to FASTRAK, presumably loosing the Carolina Clash series dates in the process, and gaining the new "Southern All-Stars East - ULTIMATE SLM Series" dates.

So, what's the difference between the NDRA and Carolina Clash versus FASTRAK and SASE - ULTIMATE SLM Series (hate that name!)? Except for some odd things that happened around the big race at the Dirt Track@Charlotte, the NDRA has seemed to keep a cleaner name and the Carolina Clash is much more established and has a known following. FASTRAK is much larger, though, and can bring more resources to bear.

Past that, what's the big difference - technical and otherwise? What are your preferences?
    I'll see if I can help here a bit. I don't know about the NDRA or Clash deal so I will just comment on the FASTRAK AND ULTIMATE Supers.

*FASTRAK:

$10,000 to win National Weekly Championship. Pays the top 50 teams in the country.
    For the teams that don't want to travel to the larger touring events.

$10,000 to win Touring Championship. Each Region has a tour that pays an entirely different point fund. Pays the top 10 in the tour.

End of the year GRAND NATIONALS. Pays $30,000 to win through the top 24 teams.
    Have to be a member (this protects you from the big guys that are non members coming in and taking the money), had to run 12 races at a FASTRAK WEEKLY SANCTIONED event to be eligible to come to the GRAND NATIONALS at the end of the year. (Meaning at a weekly track or tour event)

Hoosier tires. FT200, FT400. FT200 is soft enough that you don't need to treat it.

FASTRAK has a very tough teching and tire testing policy.

*ULTIMATE Super Late Models

ULTIMATE started from the suggestions of super late model teams and car owners.

Allowing more engine combinations. GM525, steel block-steel head, steel block aluminum head, open late model engines. Mixing weight and spoilers based on HP.

$40,000 in cash for point fund in year one. Another $20,000 in contengencies.

TRUE double file format. Not Delaware but double file. Runs under choose format. Leader chooses low or high, 2nd place low or high and so forth through the entire field.

Autograph sessions at each race along with fan drawings for Grand Marshall, ride in the Pace Truck, fireworks etc.

Driver marketing opportunities for the tracks.

Tracks so far: Modoc, Cherokee, Gordon Park, Wythe, 311, Volunteer Speedway, Laurens, Harris, I-77, Toccoa and several more to be announced after the first of the year.

A few corrections:

There are no contracts stating a driver cannot run with another series. There haven't even been conversations about it.

ULTIMATE has been careful to not schedule against the BIG events in the country ULTIMATE had a schedule out early so other series could run on off weekends making it easier for everyone.

This has absolutely nothing to do with A/R or some sort of tire war. FASTRAK was on Hoosier, SAS East was on Hoosier so natually they stayed on Hoosier as to make the transisiton as easy as possible for everyone.

Neither FASTRAK or ULTIMATE have told tracks that they could run one series but not the other. Tracks have asked about it and we have told them we had no problem with what other touring events (series shows) they ran. We want our tracks to make money.

You hate the ULTIMATE name? May I ask why?

Thanks and if you have direct questions you might want to try Jody Palmer at jp@fastrakracing.com