Little Aces Boutique

Thread: timing belt on a 94 ford ranger

Thanks

timing belt on a 94 ford ranger

ok folks i was just wondering if anybody around wilson or bailey knew anything about a timing belt for a 98 ford ranger my brother has identified the problem he thought it was his fuel pump but that has 52 psi so the guy he had look at it told him in about 5 minutes what his problem was and it was the timing belt and come off. i was just wondering if there is anybody around this area thoat knows something about them and knows there stuff that would come put it on for him i know it will be aggrivating cause the mechanic that looked at it told him that it would be aggrivating to take off and everythingbut easier to put on and everything
    Last edited by crewmembers461; 10-21-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: its a 98 ford ranger instead of a 94

Rocky Mount, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks

Re: timing belt on a 94 ford ranger

the timing belt stretched, didnt come off. i'm willing to pay somebody that knows what they are doing as long as its not a arm and a leg, 5 toes and 6 fingers.anybody that is interested please give me a call 252-289-8513 name is brandon
    HUGE FAN OF D8- DUSTIN MITCHELL,21LM JAMES BATTEN,TNL 21 MICHAEL BATTEN

racinmech53 is offline Im getting use to this place
    Thanks

hi just wondering if you had this done here is some step by step inst. I just changed the one 0n my truck. If the truck has air conditioning it's a little complicated because the AC compressor bracket has to come off to get access to the timing belt cover. I budgeted a weekend to do this job. The manual estimated 2-1/2 hours but it took me a lot longer. A person with average mechanical ability might be able to do it in about 4 hours the first time.
    First disconnect the battery and remove the spark plugs on the passenger side of engine. Make sure the transmission is in neutral if it's a manal. Rotate the engine by hand (with a 1/2" drive handle and socket on the crank shaft pulley bolt) to find top dead center on the #1 cylinder (put your finger in the #1 spark plug hole until you feel pressure, then turn the engine over slowly until the top dead center (TDC) timing mark on the crankshaft pulley (an engraved line) lines up with the stationary TDC point (on the plastic timing belt cover). Now the engine is at top dead center. Try to preserve this relationship and don't rotate the crankshaft. Drain the radiator and collect the coolant. Loosen and remove the serpentine drive belt on front of engine. Remove fan. Remove AC compressor bracket bolts and prop compressor up out of the way. but you will probably need to lock the motor somehow so you can remove the bolt. It may be possible to engage the starter while holding the pulley bolt stationary with the handle against the truck's frame and use the starter motor to loosen the bolt, but that seems a little dangerous to me. It's probably better to remove the truck's radiator to get more access for an impact wrench to break loose the pulley bolt. After you remove the crankshaft pulley, put the crankshaft pulley bolt back on the crankshaft, as you will use this later to turn the engine over manually (clockwise only) and set the tension on the timing belt. Remove the black plastic timing cover bolts and unsnap the little tabs holding the plastic timing belt cover on and remove the cover. Loosen the bolt on the timing belt tensioner adjustment and use a special tool to remove the tension from the timing belt tensioner (It may be possible to use a large screwdriver but I couldn't see any way to do this so I bought the tool) and retighten the tensioner bolt so the tensioner is no longer active. Carefully remove the timing belt. I recommend replacing the timing belt tensioner itself, as it has a bearing that is subject to wear. Clean and inspect the pulleys. Replace the timing belt, starting at the bottom pulley and working counter clockwise. Make sure the TDC marks on the camshaft pulley and the other pulley stay aligned. Loosen the bolt on the timing belt tensioner. Turn the engine over by hand, clockwise, slowly at least two revolutions. This sets the tension on the timing belt tensioner. Recheck the timing marks on the pulleys. If they are still aligned, congratulate yourself. If not, the pulleys are out of time and you will have to remove the timing belt and again align the pulleys to TDC marks and reinstall the belt. When it lines up after several revolutions of the engine by hand (turn the engine clockwise only), loosen and retighten the timing belt tensioner bolt. Now you can reverse the disassembly process. I suggest replacing the serpentine belt if it has more than 20,000 miles on it................
    Easy enough, eh? i hope this helps i wished that i was around where you lived to help you do this job because it is not that hard to do i have done around 15 belts Merry Christmas..

Thanks

If it came off while it was runnin or if you have been turning the motor over without out the timing belt on you may have bent some valves. Seriously you mat want to take it to a mechanic.JMO

Thanks

Its a Non-Interference motor.. No bent valves usually

racinmech53 is offline Im getting use to this place
    Thanks

2.3's are not zero tollerance no interfeance at all taking the engine apart is not bad to get to the timing belt i would recomend to replace the water pump and all hoses,belts remember the thermostat you have it apart why not replace it when you can reach it alot better i can do the job depending on the location im in Newport News, Va. and would not mind traviling just to help a fellow racer or fan out....take care

Thanks

<< done millions of 2.3's .. havent seen any bent valves yet.. just set crank @ TDC.. #1 cyl ready @ for intake stroke .. tension it.. rotate twice to make sure the marks come up.. ( cam timing must be neutral on # 1 or 4 cyl ) degree it if ya can .. if ya dont know bring it to me