3 Aces

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson County Speedway Memories

Thanks

Wilson County Speedway Memories

I was just wondering if anyone remembers the real old days of Wilson County , like the days when J.E.Beard , Fuzzy Ferrell , Eddie Cook , Carl Horton , Bob Walston were winning a bunch of races , the Sunday Afternoon when Dale Earnhardt won the 200 lapper in Robert Gee's Camaro , the time that "Farmer" John Matthews destroyed a new Thomas Brothers Country Ham #00 Nova , the firey crash that Larry Curry had off turn three and leaving the racetrack , Monk Tate winning a 100 lapper wearing only a pair of bluejeans , and etc . What are some of your memories to share ???
    "The PIG RIG"

Thanks

Re: Wilson County Speedway Memories

My daddy's told me a lot of stories about Monk Tate. He's told me all those stories about Larry Curry and the light pole, Earnhardt and his testing for Hoosier, J.E. Beard and Eddie Cook's driving skills. Man I would have loved to see those days.
    Jason Rhodes
    That Country Hick from the Sticks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JRhodes View Post
    My daddy's told me a lot of stories about Monk Tate. He's told me all those stories about Larry Curry and the light pole, Earnhardt and his testing for Hoosier, J.E. Beard and Eddie Cook's driving skills. Man I would have loved to see those days.
    Me too. the best days of racin back then.

Thanks

I remember many nights sitting in the back of a pick up or trunk of a car watching the races from the enfield.

battenbiltson Guest

i have pictures of mark martin hold me when i was a baby, brother sitting in brett bodines car, and even my mom taking a pic with kyle petty lol. Dad has the old book when earnhardt won that 200 lap race. i use to love when mr. johny royster would come to dads and tell us some stories. Earl Arnold can tell u some good ones too. Just wish i could remember more about the track.

Rocky Mount, North Carolina, United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by battenbiltson View Post
    i have pictures of mark martin hold me when i was a baby, brother sitting in brett bodines car, and even my mom taking a pic with kyle petty lol. Dad has the old book when earnhardt won that 200 lap race. i use to love when mr. johny royster would come to dads and tell us some stories. Earl Arnold can tell u some good ones too. Just wish i could remember more about the track.
    yeah u are a young buck ain't u.
    i remember going a few times but i'm way too old to remember it now.

Thanks

anybody remember "Kenny Boy" Strickland?

Thanks
    i cann't remember what track it was but the night that battenbilt son mother was either pregnant or had battenbilt that mark was in a wreck and caught fire and diane went over the fence and then steven was hollering and doodle was to small to know anything ab out racing that much.

if anybody knows jimmy fisher that raced with mike joyner and some others the night that he got in a fight and ripped the helmet off of the other guy and somebody said somebody please go over there and see if his head is still in that helmet
    Last edited by tas; 09-24-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    Too young to remember the Dale Earnhardt days, but I do remember the days of Eddie Cook, David Lucas, Roger Matthews.
    Like "Redclay Rebel" said "sittin' in the infield in the back of Grandpa's truck". I remember when they ened the season with a BIG "wedge car" race. Jack Pennington, Ed Gibbons, Buck Simmons, Freddy Smith, and Mike Duval would always come for that and whoop up on all the locals. I stuck it out there until the end. The days of Shelton McNair Jr., Big Jim Kelly, Britches and Tater Liles. To bad the American Legion let it fall by the wayside!!!

"PIG RIG" , your post got me thinking. Here are two more for you.
    1. I dont remember the occasion, but it was the early - mid 80's. Mark Martin, Michael Waltrip, Kyle Petty, Lake Speed and maybe one or two more came to the Wilson County Speedway(without cars). the borrowed Super Late Model rides from some of the locals and it was a dissaster. Lake Speed drove Mike Wiggins' #6 ride into the turn 1 wall on the first lap and totally destroyed it. I dont remember the drivers, but both of John Lee's cars(normally driven by David Lucas & Randy Renfrow got tore up). I dont even remeber who won, or if they even finished.
    2. Danny Parker winning a Super Late Model race in the #96 Pizza Hut car after running the last three laps with a shredded left rear tire. I think either Carlton or Billy Joe Lamm may have owned that car at the time.

Remember any of these??
    Last edited by tas; 09-24-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks

Yes I do remember those :
    1-I had heard about that race and was going to be there but instead I went to an Winston All Pro Series Race . I think Winners Circle Racing Products had something to do with that series back then .
    2-I remember that race for sure , the #96 Pizza Hut Car driven by Danny Parker was built and maintained by Jimmy Edwards Sr. and owned by Clyde Keller of Pizza Hut .
    "The PIG RIG"

Thanks

I think you are right on the Winner Circle Racing Products being the sponsor for that. They were also the sponsor for Mike Wiggins at that time.

Thanks

Mike Wiggins drove a Black Bodied / Silver Roof / Silver #6 Limited Camaro , I took a few photos of that car .
    "The PIG RIG"

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast